Thursday, September 25, 2014

Real Serial Killers



3 years ago when Hammer Records started, we attended a lot of shows. Seriously, a lot of shows. We saw so many bands and lots of bands with potential. One of the bands I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with was Kill Matilda. Rose and I attended some killer shows and a Kill Matilda show was always bound to be a good one! I had a quick chat with Mykel Exner, bassist for Kill Matilda, about how Vancouver has affected the bands career. Check it out!

James: How has Vancouver helped your bands career?
Mykel: Vancouver educated us enough to know that if we wanted to play for real, we needed to get the fuck out of there.

James: Which is your favourite venue to play in Vancouver and why?
Mykel: My favourite venue was Pub340. We killed it there in the early days before the rich started to fuck the culture up.

James: Where do you plan on going? Staying? Moving?
Mykel: Right now we are on a six month US tour. Im in Virginia Beach and play tomorrow in Charlotte NC. I will never sit still because whenever I go to a new place I make people happy and they are glad to see me.

James: What has been one of your favourite Vancouver stories?
Mykel: Favourite Vancouver story... winning the attention and affection of GGGarth Richardson and having him produce my band. As i was tracking bass he couldn't believe the energy I put into my performance, so much so that the 2nd session he asked me to record/perform for the people who were coming around to a nimbus open house. He was showing me and my energy off to potential new students to his school. It was pretty special.

James: Whats in the works with the band?
Mykel: We tour the rest of this year. You can see the dates add up at www.killmatilda.com/tour . We  have the GGGarth record to release and once we have some videos ready to go we will do that. We are aiming to get on warped tour and talking with some bands about going to Europe in 2015.

So if you haven't checked out the band then go to their Facebook page HERE.
Below is an old video we shot of them performing at the Railway Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment