Tuesday, February 9, 2016

#CMW Artist Showcase - Annette Gil


Continuing our string of interviews with Canadian Music Week performers, we had a deep conversation with Annette Gil about her upcoming appearance at CMW!

Hammer Records: Tell us what you think of when you think Canadian music?
Annette:  I think of mainly three different bands when I think of Canadian Music:  Arcade Fire because I love the band and they have been and still are a huge inspiration for me. Bryan Adams and especially the album “Cuts like a knife” is a classic album which meant a lot to me when growing up and I still listen to it from time to time.  Last but not least I think of Black Mountain from Vancouver. I was lucky to see their show and get to know them when they played at Oya Festival in Oslo, Norway 2005. And have seen their shows in Norway several times after that. Love their music and I still keep in touch with the keyboardist Jeremy Schmidt to make sure he puts me on the guest list whenever they play in Oslo, Norway.

Hammer Records: How did you get involved in Canadian Music Week?
Annette: I played at CMW with my former band Seven in 2007 and 2009, it was great! After going solo in 2013 I figured I had to play there again. I was lucky to be selected by CMW through Sonicbids and I´m very happy going back to Toronto this year!

Hammer Records: What do you have planned for Canadian Music Week?
Annette: Listen to my music and you know you can`t miss any of my shows. The live energy me and my band create is like from a different decade. I always give a spectacular show involving some epic dance moves. Think Michael Jackson and Iggy Pop in one. I say no more.

Hammer Records: What message do you want to send to Canadians listening to your music?
Annette: I´ll leave that question up to the Canadian listener to decide.

Hammer Records: Whats coming up for you?
Annette:  I´m releasing my third digital single – Digging In The Garden, from my forthcoming album February 18th.  We´ll celebrate it with release concert and party in Oslo, Norway February 19th . I´ll also release the music video for my new single the same day. My second solo album entitled Comfortably Young, is due for release April 21st  2016 and will be available on all digital platforms throughout the world, LP and CD. We´re having a big album release concert in Oslo, then touring Norway before heading to U.S and Canada. Me and my band will do a show at Pianos NYC May 1st . And after that we´re going to CMW and are staying there from May 2 – 8. We´re really looking forward to perform for the Canadian people! 

You can find more about me and my music here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment