Friday, February 12, 2016

#CMW Artist Showcase - Brooklyn Doran



Continuing with our coverage of artists performing at this years Canadian Music Week, we had a deep discussion with Brooklyn Doran about the upcoming event.

Hammer Records: What do you think of when you think Canadian music?
Brooklyn: When I think of Canadian Music, I think of a diverse array of artists and genres. What's great is that all of these artists are welcomed to collaborate within the Canadian Music landscape. When I think of the music coming from our land, I think of Pow-wow. I think of Country music and the Blues. I think of all of the artists emerging out of the Toronto and Vancouver hip-hop scenes. I think about the amazing folk festivals across Canada like The Winnipeg, Regina, and Edmonton Folk Fests, The Moose n Fiddle Festival in Nestor Falls, Trout Fest, and all of the amazing opportunities to lay a picnic blanket out in the sun and listen to Canadian artists play.

Hammer Records: How did you get involved in Canadian Music Week?
Brooklyn:  played my first CMW showcase in 2014, just prior to my debut EP "There's A Light On" being released. I was brand new in the scene and I played an afternoon showcase at The Central that featured a bunch of super talented artists like Rory Taillon and Fanette. The Central is a great venue for new artists playing in Toronto. When I think about all of the local artists who I play with and admire, most of our first performances were at that venue, and I'm really glad the crowds and staff there were so supportive of me when I was first starting out playing shows. 

Hammer Records: What do you have planned for Canadian Music Week?
Brooklyn: For CMW 2016, I'll be playing with my full 5-piece band and will be debuting some songs from my upcoming record "Paper Wings" for the very first time on the CMW stage!

Hammer Records: What message do you want to send Canadians listening to your music?
Brooklyn: Thank you for listening! Your support means so much more than you know.

Hammer Records: Whats in the future for you?
Brooklyn: I'll be touring across Southern Ontario and Quebec from April 1- April 10th with the immensely talented Jessica Speziale. Our kick off show will be at The Cameron House on April 1st and we will be playing April 5th at The Garnet in Peterborough and April 8th at Le Cagibi in Montreal among other dates. The full list of dates will be posted on www.brooklyndoran.com

Website: http://www.brooklyndoran.com
Twitter: 
http://www.twitter.com/brooklyndoran
Instagram: 
https://instagram.com/brooklyndoran
Facebook: 
http://www.facebook.com/brooklyndoranmusic
Tumblr: 
http://brooklyndoran.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment