Wednesday, March 8, 2017

CBC Searchlight - Venus Syndrome

We spoke with Adam, creator of Venus Syndrome, about his entry into the CBC Spotlight contest this year and this thoughts on the contest.

Hammer Records: Is this the first time you’ve entered into the CBC Spotlight Contest?
Adam: I entered my song 'Mistakes' from an independently released album called 'Songs From the Ending Road' in 2015.  That was my first Searchlight entry. 

Hammer Records: Which of the prizes are you most excited about?
Adam: Though all of the prizes sound amazing - notably the support they would provide to the winners' music careers and aspirations - I'd have to say the commission of a new song at the Banff Centre would have to the the highlight for me.  The creative process is something I really enjoy.

Hammer Records: How would you describe your music to a brand new listener?
Adam: My music sounds a bit 'retro', sort of 70s-ish, perhaps due to my preference for piano-based writing, which is still a bit unusual today.  I also have a pretty organic sound inspired by straight use of the guitar/piano, bass/drums mix, with occasional leads.  Perhaps organic, retro indie pop/rock.  That's a mouthful, though.  Needs tweaking.

Hammer Records: What made you pick the piece of music/video to enter?
Adam: I wrote the song 'Closing That Prison Down' when the closure of the maximum-security prison Kingston Penitentiary was announced.  KP looms large in Kingston's story, and is a part of the town, like an elephant in our collective room.  I wrote it after taking one of the first rare tours a few years ago, and it stuck with me.

Hammer Records: If you could send a message to the judges, what would it be?
Adam: I hope you like songs that tell stories, and try to resonate with communities by connecting people through shared stories.  As a songwriter, after having written a rare song that I feel achieves this, I feel like I've written something special that needs to be shared.  I hope you agree!

To find out more about Venus Syndrome, go to their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/venussyndrome/


No comments:

Post a Comment